Welcome to my blog which follows my furniture restoration business. Please feel free to comment at the bottom of the post, and if you would like a response please leave your email address. you can also contact me directly at info@johnmarkpower.com. And by all means, if you like something please feel free to share it.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Walnut Rocker with Cane Seat and Back (ca. 1860)

Below are some photos of the repairs I made to a nice 19th century American rocking chair. The chair dates to around 1860 and is made entirely from walnut. The back stretcher for the seat frame had developed a break and the arms were also loose.I repaired the break and replaced the glue blocks for the seat frame which were a little small. these glue blocks were not original to the piece, but were a good repair to stabilize the seat frame. After the repairs were made I cleaned and waxed the finish.

The rocking chair as it came to me.The break in the back of the seat frame.Repairing the seat frame after the new glue blocks were installed.Gluing the arms of the chair.The last two photos are of the chair after it was cleaned and waxed.

1 comment: