Welcome to my blog which follows my furniture restoration business. Please feel free to comment at the bottom of the post, and if you would like a response please leave your email address. you can also contact me directly at info@johnmarkpower.com. And by all means, if you like something please feel free to share it.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

A Great Bow lathe Video

A friend sent me a video today I thought I would share. It is of a Moroccan wood turner using a very old style of lathe called a bow lathe. Essentially, The lathe is powered by a bow that has a string wrapped around the blank to be turned. One arm serves as the power source while the other holds the turning tool. The foot is used to control the cuts. This is all done in a seated position on the ground. This is a much different approach to turning than most of us are accustomed to and one that has always fascinated me. Watch how quickly and efficiently he turns this captive ring piece of jewelry in the video:


The video was originally uploaded here:

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/latest-news/March-Newsletter-2015?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=228be7b05b-March_Newsletter_20153_24_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_066599646b-228be7b05b-142404397&mc_cid=228be7b05b&mc_eid=110f27faa7

Here are a few other photos and drawings of the bow lathe in action.



This is truly fascinating to watch and I felt like I had to share this!

1 comment:

  1. Furniture is what turns your house into a home.We are running our Furnitures over 25 years and we are one of the leading wooden cot manufacturer in arumbakkam

    ReplyDelete