Welcome to my blog which follows my furniture restoration business. Please feel free to comment at the bottom of the post, and if you would like a response please leave your email address. you can also contact me directly at info@johnmarkpower.com. And by all means, if you like something please feel free to share it.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Federal Walnut Chest of Drawers (Ca. 1800) Part 2

I have been working on a American Walnut chest of drawers from around 1800. This is the second post concerning its repair. For a look at the repair of the top follow this link:

http://johnmarkpower.blogspot.com/2010/08/federal-walnut-chest-of-drawers-ca-1800.html


This post details all of the other work that went into the repair of this chest. I will post some completed photos of the chest next week.

The first two photos show some loose inlay at the bottom of the case being glued. It was loose and in some cases missing on both sides. The first photo shows the loose inlay and the second the inlay being glued.

The chest was also missing a glue block on the right rear foot. I was able to use an old board to make a new glue block. The first photo shows the glue block and the second shows it being glued.

After the trim was glued down at the bottom of the case I replaced a missing section. The blurry photo below shows this new trim in place. I left it long until the glue dried and then I removed the excess.
The next two photos show some wedges that were inserted into cracks in the sides. Once the glue had dried these were pared flush with the sides.

The feet were missing significant sections of the point on the bracket feet. The next two photos show the patching of these points with special three way clamps. Once the patches had dried they were shaped and sanded flush with the case.

On some of the drawers the cock beading had become loose. This is due to the drawer face shrinking making the cock bead on the edges longer than needed. Under pressure the glue gives out. I removed the beading where this had happened and cut it to fit properly. I then glued it back in place. The first photo below shows the beading removed and the second shows it being glued in place.

The runners on the drawer sides had been replaced through the years out of various materials. Sometimes Poplar and sometimes other wood, like Walnut. They were also wider than needed and had worn down through use. I removed the worn runners (pictured in the first photo) and replaced them with new Poplar which was cut to make the drawers open and close properly. All of the drawers can be seen being glued in the second photo.

The last three photos show the case with all of the repair work completed and during the finishing process.


1 comment:

  1. Wow…outstanding service and products to meet our office needs. I Love all and the colors you choose are perfect. I want this furniture for my new house. Thanks a lot for sharing
    Dressing Table In Chennai With Prices

    ReplyDelete