Welcome to my blog which follows my furniture restoration business. Please feel free to comment at the bottom of the post, and if you would like a response please leave your email address. you can also contact me directly at info@johnmarkpower.com. And by all means, if you like something please feel free to share it.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Building a Locust and Walnut Entry Table (2010) Part 2

As you may already know, I have been building an entry table for a customer out of Locust and Walnut, Both indigenous woods to the area. I wrote a previous entry on building the top which can be accessed through the following link:

http://johnmarkpower.blogspot.com/2010/10/building-locust-and-walnut-entry-table.html

I left off at the end of the last post with the rounding off of the corners of the table. To ensure each corner was shaped the same way, I created a template from some scrap wood. Below is a photo of the template.

The template was then clamped to a corner and traced. the edge was then rough cut using a jig saw.Below is a photo of the template laid over the corner.
Once the corner was rough cut, I attached the template again and trimmed the excess using a pattern bit on a hand held router. This gave me the exact profile of the template. The two photos below show this:

This photo shows the top completed and ready for sanding, I set it aside and turned my attention to the base.
The first step in creating the base was to mill the parts. I then did the detail work on the parts to create the joinery. I have started out with the apron. here is the apron milled:
The next step was to create tenons on the ends of the apron. Here are the short and long sections with the tenons cut.
Now onto the legs! the legs were first milled. The legs were all taken from the same board to ensure matching grain.
The next step was to cut the mortises in the legs to accommodate the tenons on the apron.
The last step was to cut the taper on the legs. The taper runs on the inner sides from just below the mortise to the bottom of the leg.
This photo shows the base being glued up.
One detail on the base is an applied bull nose molding around the bottom of the apron. The molding was shaped with a router and finished by hand. I created two sections of molding on either edge of a board and once the molding was made I ripped it into two using the table saw. This saves on material but more importantly gives me more material to work with keeping my fingers away from the rotating router bit! below is the two boards used to create the molding before they were ripped.
This photo shows the base with the molding attached.
The last step in the construction of the base was the addition of bracing. The bracing has two purposes. One is it keeps the top center board in place. It also keeps the apron straight by being dovetailed into the apron. The photo below shows the base with the braces and the photo below that shows a detail of the dovetail joinery.

Here are two photos of the table with the top attached. Sanding followed!

Here are two photos of the table after sanding. The table also has one coat of finish on it.

This last photo shows the table after the first day of coating. I will post some photos of the completed table once I have finished it.

No comments:

Post a Comment