Welcome to my blog which follows my furniture restoration business. Please feel free to comment at the bottom of the post, and if you would like a response please leave your email address. you can also contact me directly at info@johnmarkpower.com. And by all means, if you like something please feel free to share it.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Tightening up some loose chairs and turning a missing spindle

An interesting thing about modern furniture, and I have never been able to figure out why this is, is that the manufacturers use as little glue as they can! The result is that there are a lot of loose chairs out there!!
I received six chairs made from Beech that were all loose. In addition, one of the stretchers had fallen out completely and had gone missing. below are some photos of one of the chairs being glued up and the turning of the new spindle.
this first photo shows one of the chairs disassembled. The hoop back on the top is secured by a fox wedge, which is a wedge inserted into the end of the tenon under the chair. this wedge forces the tenon to expand and keeps the back tight. because of this, the bottoms were the only sections that were loose.

The blue tape seen on the spindles and the legs have the location of each part marked on it so that I don't get confused on how to put these chairs back together! After the joints were cleaned of all of the old glue, the chairs were reglued. I am using a ratcheting band clamp to keep everything tight.Here is a photo of the turning blank next to the spindle I needed to copy.Here is the blank mounted in the lathe.This photo shows the spindle being turned. The first step is to tame some measurements using calipers and transfer them to the blank once those diameters are turned as in the photo below, the spaces in between are flattened out. I forgot to take a picture of the finished product, but I can tell you that it matched exactly!

1 comment:

  1. The last hoop chairs I repaired, there was very little glue also. Instead there were little pin nails holding the chairs together.
    They were no doubt from China and the only concern when building them was speed and mass production. Air guns make more sense than glue and quality I guess. Nice post.
    Rory
    http://thegreentiquessolution.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete