Welcome to my blog which follows my furniture restoration business. Please feel free to comment at the bottom of the post, and if you would like a response please leave your email address. you can also contact me directly at info@johnmarkpower.com. And by all means, if you like something please feel free to share it.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Carving new molding for a foot

On the Headboard for the bed I am working on the foot terminates with molding that sits on the floor. the molding is a cavetto (concave) stacked on Ovolo (Convex).

The Molding on one of the feet had been worn down or broken off so the first step in replacing this was to remove the broken wood and glue on a new patch. Below is a photo of the new patch being glued onto the foot:

After the glue had dried I was left with a solid block of walnut which I carved down by hand with chisels and gouges. Here are a before and after photo:


When the piece is finished I will stain the foot to blend in with the rest of the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment