Welcome to my blog which follows my furniture restoration business. Please feel free to comment at the bottom of the post, and if you would like a response please leave your email address. you can also contact me directly at info@johnmarkpower.com. And by all means, if you like something please feel free to share it.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Mahogany and Glass serving Tray (ca.1930)

I received a Mahogany serving tray recently in need of refinishing. In addition, the tray needed to have the glass replaced. The customer and I decided to replace the glass with 1/4" glass over the 1/8" glass that was in it to provide a sturdy surface for carrying things. Below are some photos of the initial work of removing the broken glass, Hardware, and finish. There are also some photos of the repairs to the frame.

The tray as it came to me.The tray with the glass and hardware removed. the finish, which is a lacquer, has yellowed over time.The tray with the finish removed.The last two photos show the joinery in the corners of the tray being glued.

No comments:

Post a Comment