Welcome to my blog which follows my furniture restoration business. Please feel free to comment at the bottom of the post, and if you would like a response please leave your email address. you can also contact me directly at info@johnmarkpower.com. And by all means, if you like something please feel free to share it.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Repairing an Old Pine Chest Of Drawers (ca. 1840-1860) Part 2

This is a second entry concerning repairs made to the runner system of a pine chest of drawers. To view the first part, click on the following link:


The photos below show the completion of this work. I didn't do anything to the finish so the chest looks more or less the same. The one thing I did do was to repair gouges that were made to the drawer fronts from the loose glass knobs. If you look closely at the first picture in the previous post you can see these. The photo of the chest below shows the damage repaired.

Two of the three drawers were disassembled to repair the drawer sides. the third drawer I was able to repair without disassembling it. After cutting away the damaged area of the drawer sides I cut new material to glue in its place.
This picture shows the new runners being glued in place on the above drawer.Here are the other two drawers being put back together. This photo shows the interior runners that were repaired in the previous post being glued in place.I was going to replace the drawer stops which were broken and worn by contact with the drawer bottoms, but some previous repairman glued new stops on the underside of the drawer dividers. These worked fine, so I removed the old worn stops.Here is the chest in fine working order. the areas around the knobs have been repaired and the knobs tightened. All of the drawer runners have been waxed with Paraffin wax for smooth operation.


  1. Thank you for fixing my pine dresser ! The drawers slide so easily now :) Great job.

  2. I have a very similar situation with a pine chest built in California during the early 20th Century. After attempting a series of more conservative repairs that didn't work, I was planning to build new drawers, install modern drawer guides, and preserve the old drawer fronts. Yet...I wanted to preserve as much of the original as I could.

    When I read your blog, I thought, "Aha!"

    Thank you from the Mother Lode.