Welcome to my blog which follows my furniture restoration business. Please feel free to comment at the bottom of the post, and if you would like a response please leave your email address. you can also contact me directly at info@johnmarkpower.com. And by all means, if you like something please feel free to share it.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Biggs Mahogany Pembroke Reproduction Table (ca. 1980)

One of the many projects i am currently working on is a Mahogany Pembroke table made by the Biggs Furniture Company of Richmond, Va. I put a date of 1980 on the table but the table could easily be twenty or thirty years older. Although Biggs has gone out of business, they were once one of the premiere colonial reproduction furniture companies in Virginia. Here is a link to a Wikipedia entry on the company:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biggs_Furniture


the table was in fine shape overall and is made of nice Honduran Mahogany. The only real issue with the table was the finish. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a "before" photo of the table. I did take some photos of the refinishing process. The first shows the table with the old finish removed and all of the surfaces sanded.
This next photo shows the table after it has been stained. The dark color will look lighter as the finish is applied.
Once the stain had dried, it was time to start French Polishing. This photo is about half way through the finishing process.
I will post some completed photo shots when I get the table done.

1 comment:

  1. Wow…outstanding service and products to meet our office needs. I Love all and the colors you choose are perfect. I want this furniture for my new house. Thanks a lot for sharing
    Dressing Table In Chennai With Prices

    ReplyDelete