Here are a few photos of the candlestand I have been working on. When I left off, I had completed all of the repairs to the table, including some major repairs to the pedestal where one leg is dovetailed in. The piece had been stained at one time and the stain proved to be hard to remove. In order to even the piece out, I stained it again. Most likely, this piece would have been stained originally anyway, and to remove all of the stain from the piece would mean a lot of invasive sanding. The other benefit of staining was that it toned up my repairs so well, that I decided to leave them natural and not try to hide them with touch-up powders. Here is a photo of the table after it was stained.
The next few photos show the table after the restoration was completed. the new finish is shellac based with a final coat of paste wax. The finish was applied using a French Polish method. Most of the scratches and dings were left in place to retain the piece's sense of authenticity and originality.
Welcome to my blog which follows my furniture restoration business. Please feel free to comment at the bottom of the post, and if you would like a response please leave your email address. you can also contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. And by all means, if you like something please feel free to share it.